Westend Health Care provides a range of training courses, primarily aimed at the healthcare sector. We work in partnership with nursing home managers to help identify the training and development needs of their care workers in order to meet the objectives of the organisation, managers and individuals.
Our team has experience working with Investors in People, ISO 9002 and other quality programmes. All courses are in line with the new National Care Standards and taught by qualified training instructors.
All associates have their individual training needs identified and entered on a training database when joining the company.
The identification of individual training needs will be based upon the associate’s workplace allocation, for example:
- Observation Training
Learning Disabilities & Mental Health
- Control & Restraint
- Coping with Challenging Behaviour
- Awareness of Person-Centred Planning
- Palliative Care
- Care of the Dying
Moving & Positioning
A comprehensive one day course based around a theory and practical assessment, giving staff competency to fulfil their duties as Healthcare Assistants.
- Health & Safety Legislation
- Employer’s Responsibilities
- Employee’s Responsibilities
- Risk Assessment
- Practical Assessment covering the use of Hoists, Handling Belts, Slide sheets
First Aid Appointed Person
A one day intense course covering all aspects of First Aid. This course is valid for 3 years.
- Incident Management
- The Unconscious Casualty
- The Management of Head Injuries
- Heart Attack
The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
The Health & Safety course covers all aspects of Health and Safety in the workplace.
- Overview of the HASAW Act.
- Employer and the Employee Responsibility
- COSHH & RIDDOR
- Welfare at Work
- Fire Safety – including extinguisher types and usage (with DVD)
- Risk Assessment in the work place
Food Hygiene & Infection Control
The Food Hygiene & Infection Control course covers all aspects of Food Hygiene in the workplace.
- Overview of Food Hygiene Awareness
- The Storage of Food
- Personal & Environmental Hygiene
- Temperature Control and the Danger Zone
- The Causes of Food Poisoning
- Universal Infection Control
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Common Infections, including MRSA, C-Diff and Hep B
- Hand Decontamination Techniques
POVA / POCA
Protection of Vulnerable Adults and Protection of Children Act training course includes:
- Safe Guarding Vulnerable Groups Act 200
- Types of Abuse
- The Signs & Symptoms of Abuse
- Multi Agency Referral Systems
Cognitive Disorders & Challenging Behaviour / Price Training
These 2 courses run together and cover the Cognitive Disorders and Challenging Behaviour, Violence and Aggression covering:
- What is Dementia
- What is a Learning Disability
- What is Autism
- Epilepsy Awareness
- The Causes of Challenging Behaviour and how to manage them
- Spotting the Triggers
- Positive Behaviour Support
- Physical Restrain Techniques
- Personal Safety
- What to do after an Incident